At the recent 2016 Santa Barbara Writers Conference Platform Building Panel, three panelists (with Marla Miller moderating & adding opinions during the Q/A) plus one very inquisitive audience enjoyed a lively session that ran over our one-hour time slot. An informative & entertaining panel we hope writers on the road to publication watch.
This year’s SBWC2016: PLATFORM BUILDING PANEL profiled the platform building work of seasoned pros, authors published in indie & small presses. Matt Pallamary and Ernie Witham discussed what works and what doesn’t. Book shepard, Gail Kearne added her perspective working with authors who parse out many tasks/steps required in 21st century publishing. Unless hugely famous, this applies to traditionally published authors, too.
SBWC 2016 Platform Building Topics Addressed:
- Social media sites right for you.
- Time needed to adequately promote.
- Recommended sites for beginners
- Facebook, good for relationship building
- Twitter creates an illusion/presence
- Instagram, terrific for authors whose stories can be pictorially told
- LinkedIn, Ernie recommends for finding writing groups.
- Marla loves blogging on LinkedIn
- Matt likes them all though his ‘like’ is due to his I.T. know-how. He comes from that world…& others….:)
- Podcasts: Matt loves them. Marla wants to learn. Are podcasts for you?
- Gail: A professional looking website a must.
- Gail likes Facebook Professional page for her authors. Marla does too but adds a caution. Take a listen to both pro and con.
- Goodreads, a book club Matt likes the ease @ he launching PR campaigns.
- Gail talks about the value of reviews/ reviewers in your PR/marketing campaign.
- Author appearances: Gail reminds us of ‘tried & true.’
- Should writer wikipedia? Lisa Angle offers her take.
- Amazon’s Author Central, what is it?
- Guest Blogging & why it’s so valuable.
- Hiring an intern to do your social media?.
Lots more insights and tips, one of our best ‘SBWC Platform Building Panels’ in my humble.
If you dig it, please share it.
HUGE thanks to SBWC filmographer Lisa Angle’s NinetyDegreesMedia for filming & producing this video for MarlaMiller.com visitors & subscribers entertainment & education. Our thanks always to the Santa Barbara Writers Conference for allowing us to post this video. To SBWC’s author/composer Monte Schulz always my thanks for the opportunity to offer workshops and moderate panels at this America treasure of a writers conference. Always so cool to hang out with my SBWC writing tribe.
https://vimeo.com/<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/173573817" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe></p> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/173573817">SBWC: Building Your Author Platform Panel 2016</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/dolphingal805">Ninety Degrees Media</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo.</a></p> <p>