Great overview! Thanks Gayle for sharing with MarketingtheMuse
I’ve Written “The End.” Can I Self-Publish Now?
Gayle Carline, Mystery Author and Humor Columnist
Alternate Publishing/SCWC Workshop 9/22/2013
“The End.” Can I Self-Publish Now?
The short answer is No.
“A book is published too soon for the publisher and not soon enough for the writer.” Jennifer Silva Redmond
SO WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO?
- Garner honest evaluations
- Choose a business plan
- Let the manuscript marinate
Do not touch it for at least two weeks Try to forget what you have written
- Know your go-to/filler words and remove them
- Read your work aloud
- Beta Readers
How do you find them? How do you use them?
- Professional Editor
How do you find a good one?
BUSINESS PLAN? BUT I’M A WRITER! Your book is your product
• Sell to a publisher, OR • Sell direct to readers?
A writer must have the heart of an artist, and the head of a CEO.
What’s the best path?
• Publishers will pay an advance, and then royalties Provide in-house editorial, cover art services
Provide some level of marketing, publicity No fees paid by the author
• Self-publishing means you keep all the profits You pay for professional editor and cover artist
You market your book You are now a publisher
What does self-publishing take?
- Willingness to treat your book(s) as abusiness Record inventory, assets, debts, etc
Make decisions based on potential for sales
- Willingness to invest in your business You don’t know how to do everything Quality does not have to be expensive
• Different for ebook (ereader) and paperback – Lots of companies willing to do this
– Createspace (menu of services and prices)
Format It Yourself
• Must be computer savvy
– Createspace is low-cost for paperback – Templates available
• Mobi Pocket Creator for Kindle
– Submit one file, formatted per their template
– File is converted, by them, for ALL e-readers – They take a small percentage in each sale
Who is Izben and why do I need him?
ISBN – International Standard Book Number
• Only necessary for paperbacks?
• Available for purchase at Bowker.com Not cheap:
1 for $125, 10 for $250… 1000 for $1000
• Some self-publishing sites, like Createspace, will assign one for free
• Which way is better?
Okay, I got my book edited. I got a cover. I’m all formatted. Now can I self-publish?
In a word… NO.
DO NOT RELEASE YOUR BOOK INTO A VACUUM!
- Give out advanced reader copies for review
- Do giveaway contests
- Build excitement in your community
- Have a launch partyTAKE THE TIME TO MAKE PEOPLE WANT YOUR BOOK.
• Are you considered an expert in your field? • Do you belong to groups who would
benefit from reading your book?
• Are you currently active on social media sites?
• This is a little trickier, but…
Are you active on social media sites?
Do you have an Internet presence? – Blog
Are you involved in your genre’s organizations?
- Multiple books require structure
– Brand each genre
– Consider creating your own publishing imprint – ISBN…?
- You must learn to market without marketing
- – No one wants to hear, “Buy my book.”
- – Everyone wants to hear, “How are you today?”
APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur, by Guy Kawasaki & Shawn Welch